Thursday, December 24, 2009

Christmas Special Introduction

The Christmas special comic was by far the biggest project that I had ever worked on involving The Yakas & The Wakas. Overall, I think it took me about a week or two to finish it...which includes the art, the concept of it, and everything else. One aspect of the Christmas special that I definitely wanted was the inclusion of all four characters in the series. The funny thing about the Christmas special is that the story itself is actually pretty darn good...at least in my opinion. For a comic series known for not making any sense and being very off the wall, the Christmas special managed to be quite a change of pace. My main inspiration for the storyline of the comic was old Christmas specials from TV, such as the Garfield one. I wanted things to go wrong for the characters, yet I wanted everything to be all right and back to normal by the end of it. However, I did manage to put a little twist on the so called "happy endings" of Christmas specials, which involved Stick-Man receiving a gunshot wound to the leg.

Also, the Christmas special has the honor of being the Y&W comic with the most references to outside material. These references include:

1) The star on top of the tree, which is the star that I created and used in my Yoshi Stadium spoof of the Mario Party franchise.

2) Waka's monologue, which, as Yaka states, was taken from the movie "Braveheart."

3) The fight with Slobber, which uses the battle menu from the "Dragon Quest" video game series, hence the line, "A slime draws near."

And that's about it for the Christmas special!

COMING TOMORROW: "The Yakas & The Wakas Christmas Special" in all of its original glory!

No comments:

Post a Comment